Starting at the very beginning, the Academy has studied the Policy on the NQF (National Qualification Framework) as proposed for Professional Designations in South Africa. Coupled with this policy is the Criteria for Credit Accumulation & Transfer.
The SAQA (South African Qualification Authority) together with a substantial reference group comprising of various academia and skills associations have set the ball rolling in paving the way towards authentic credit accumulation and transfer – better known as CAT.
Giving credit merely to attract participants to conferences and various sessions without credible substantiation is unlikely to gain favour with the South African education authorities.
Real checks and balances are essential and the processes to ensure the reliability of the assessment outlined in the policy documents are sound. The Academy’s CPD (Continuing Development Programme) is in line with the policy. These are:
1. Assessment Tools & Tasks
- MICE subscribers require pre-preparation prior to testing.
- Testing online thereafter consists of multi-choice answers to which one is selected
- Reasons for incorrect answers are then provided.
2. Marking & Moderation
- Total score is provided at the completion of each online test
- A minimum of two-thirds correct answers are required for credits to be awarded.
3. Recording & Dissemination of Results
- Subscriber score cards are issued on a regular basis to confirm the accumulation per subscriber.
4. Appeals Processes
- Subscribers may query their score and in particular the reason for the incorrect answer/s.
- Based on attaining the required number of credits, a computer-generated certificate
- Is issued to the subscriber.
6. Secure record keeping
- Not only are the subscriber’s certificates kept in a MICE Safe, the subscriber will have their own ring-binder for hard-copy reference as well as drop box insertion.
Giving credit where credit is due is the most innovative and valuable initiative in the South African MICE industry. Corporate and association meeting planners are subscribing on a daily basis to accumulate sufficient credits in time for June 2014 Markex World of Events recognition & rewards. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and visit www.miceacademy.co.za for further details.